Bridal Affairs

Angel of Hearts Weddings offers unique and comprehensive assistance to the discerning bride in planning her wedding, with a full range of services tailored to her needs. Making magic is my passion.

Angel of Hearts Weddings--Watching Over Your Big Day!

Here is a place to share all things wedding! Please share your ideas with me.


Thursday, October 31, 2019

INTEGRITY

Today, I veer away from the usual nicities to talk about something that is SO, SO important to me- INTEGRITY. 

 When I started my business 16 years ago, I came to it with a skill set that prepared me for whatever might happen.  I had worked in the restaurant business for over 20 years and had run some of the best restaurants in the city of Philadelphia.  In those years, I entertained celebrities, politicians, local business owners and even tourists.  There were weddings, political gatherings, private dinners for stars who were working in the theaters.  Every customer that came in the door I treated as if they were coming to dinner at my house.  And, I treated my staff with respect and decency- from dishwashers to chefs.  We were a team and our goal was to make sure the guests had a wonderful time and a great meal.   INTEGRITY in my work- that's what was most important.  Being respectful, honest and doing the best job every day.

After too many years of working 7 days a week and never being home for a holiday, I switched gears.  On a whim, I answered an ad for a bridal salon manager.   This began a new chapter in my work life and a spark that I didn't even know was there.   Working with a bride on this journey, deciding what she was going to wear for such an important day in her life was exhiliarating.  I learned about fabrics, construction of a gown, how to alter a dress, how to dye a veil to match a dress and how to dye shoes- among other things,  And, again, my staff was important to me, my brides were important to me and my INTEGRITY was important to me.  I would never tell a bride she could have something that she could not.  I went out of my way to ensure that every bride felt important, listened to and that every sales associate felt like I had their best interests at heart.  

Along the way I did some other things that prepared me for the leap into wedding planning.  I worked for an events company writing brochures, creating party themes and acquiring props.  I nannied two little girls, which taught me patience and tolerance.  I worked in a theater- handling all the costumes, making lodging arrangements for the stars who worked there and entertaining them at night for dinner.  INTEGRITY- being respectful of their needs and their privacy, while ensuring that their stay was pleasant and that their costumes and accommodations were always in order.  Let me tell you a story.  Most of you won't remember Ronnie Claire Edwards.  She played Ike Godsey's wife on The Waltons.  She was cast as Miss Daisy in the play Driving Miss Daisy- which is very different from the movie.  This is a 3 person play and she is on stage for most of it.  Her changes were very quick and she was a nervous wreck.  When she arrived for rehearsals- she was a very eccentric lady, she explained to me that I was not going to be able to get her changed in time because I didn't know her or how quick the changes were.  Rather than argue with her and try to make myself feel better, I just did my job.  Every outfit was lined up according to scene, including hats, gloves, shoes, jewelry.  And, after the first rehearsal, I had her eating out of my hand.  At the end of the run, she refused to leave without me and I had to travel with her to two other theaters to dress her.  INTEGRITY!  Honesty, hard work and diligence.  I earned her respect.  

When I started my business, it was because, in my personal life, I also had INTEGRITY.  My mother was ill and needed to be cared for.  And, my grandmother was in her 90's and needed weekly help.  As the oldest of four and the only girl, I learned early on about service to others.  I raised my three brothers, took care of my grandparents, became a single mom after a bad divorce and weathered all kinds of storms that prepared me for ANY "what if".  Believe me, there have been MANY "what if's"  in my life.  Anyway, I needed a job that was more flexible so that my mother would not be alone all day, every day.  At the time, wedding planning wasn't the "IN" thing to do.  But, it was a VERY valued service that brides took seriously because is was a huge help to their stress levels and the success of their wedding.  So, I took my skill set and I plunged into the world of event planning.  My first ever bride was a 40 year old, first time bride and a TV producer.  She had already alienated all of her vendors and brought me on to do everything.  She and I got along great, because I respected her vision, her personality and her needs.  I didn't take over, I just did my job.  Her wedding was quite the To Do, including walking her dress from Vera Wang's studio to the hotel- up 5th Avenue, and making sure that 150 people boarded buses in the city to travel up Riverside Drive to the venue- with lemonade!!  Needless to say, it was a great success and she emailed me from the beach in Hawaii to thank me.  INTEGRITY!!  Being respectful, honest and doing my best.

Here I am 16 years later, and I am wondering- what happened to the value of INTEGRITY?  I have treated all of my brides with it, have done a supurb job of making them happy.  It didn't matter if it was a DIY bride with a $10k budget or an executive with a $100K budget- they all get the same treatment.  I won't spoil my integrity with bashing anyone or decrying another's ability or success.  But, I AM WORTH IT!!!  My commitment is worth it.  My ability is worth it.  My creativity and my hard work ethic is worth it.  I know what I am doing.  TALK TO ME.  ASK ME.  ASK MY BRIDES.  And, then- HIRE ME.   I promise you won't be disappointed.  I work incredibly hard- I have all my life, not just in this business.  I am 100% here for you- its your day!   And, I have INTEGRITY!!!  No matter what you see, what you read, what you think because I don't have a fancy web site.  My worth speaks for itself in my track record.  So, give me a chance to be what I LOVE being.  Every bride needs a planner- let it be me.  Thank you for reading.  Someone told me that I needed to speak my worth.  So, here it is.  I hope to talk to you soon.


No comments: