Bridal Affairs

Angel of Hearts Weddings offers unique and comprehensive assistance to the discerning bride in planning her wedding, with a full range of services tailored to her needs. Making magic is my passion.

Angel of Hearts Weddings--Watching Over Your Big Day!

Here is a place to share all things wedding! Please share your ideas with me.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008


I am often asked about where to go and what you need for a marriage license. I have also had to find a ketubah or a Quaker marriage certificate for a bride. So, here is some helpful information for Philadelphia brides. In addition to the web sites noted for the examples here, also try and for more beautiful ideas. It is a nice idea to use your Quaker marriage certificate as a guest book. This way, all of your guests feel they are part of your ceremony. Of course, either thing is a perfect decorative addition to your home. Now, for more practical information. What you need for a marriage license:
Both parties must apply for their license in person.
• The couple must wait three days before they can marry.
• The license remains valid for 60 days.
• The license can be used in any county in Pennsylvania, but cannot be used out of state.

What to Bring
• Identification: Both parties must present a current, valid photo I.D. such as a driver's license, passport, military I.D., resident alien card or consulate card as well as a Social Security card or any other form of I.D. issued by an official entiry which reflects the applicant's Social Security number.
• Proof of Prior Marriage Dissolution: A widowed applicant must submit a certified copy of the death certificate of the deceased spouse. A divorced applicant must provide a certified copy of the most recent divorce decree.
• Money: The cost of a marriage license is $50 (additional fees may apply), in the form of cash or money order. Checks and credit cards are not accepted.

Where to Go
PHILADELPHIAMarriage License BureauRoom 415 City HallPhiladelphia, PA 19107(215) 686-2233M-F 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Following is a partial list of other marriage-license offices in Pennsylvania. Call your town or city clerk's office if it is not listed here. Most offices are open Monday through Friday excluding holidays; hours vary slightly.
MONTGOMERY COUNTYTel: 610/278-3000Main & Swede StreetsNorristownM-F 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.Fee: $40 cash only
BUCKS COUNTYTel: 215/348-6272Main & Court Streets, 3rd FloorDoylestown or local District CourtsM-F 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.Fee: at Courthouse, $50 cash only; at District Courts, $52 money order
DELAWARE COUNTYTel: 610/891-4404Front and Veteran SquareMediaM-F 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.Fee: $50 cash only
LEHIGH COUNTYTel: 610/782-31735th & Hamilton StreetsAllentownM-F 8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.Fee: $35 cash only
NORHTHAMPTON COUNTYTel: 610/559-3776Government Ctr., 669 Washington Street, Rm. 107EastonM-F 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.Fee: $35 cash only
MONROE COUNTY570/420-3710N. 7th & Monroe StreetsStroudsburgM-F 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.Fee: $30 cash or money order

1 comment:

EthidiumBromide said...

I wish Pennsylvania would update and make it easier to get the license, like so many other states. It is a HUGE burden for those of us who live out of state to show up on a weekday, fill out the proper paperwork, and then come back on ANOTHER weekday to pick it up!

Also, another suggestion for ketubah -- if you want something unique, find a Jewish artist and have one custom made. We got sick of looking at all the same ketubot on all the various websites, but found a list of artists in the back of a Jewish wedding book. One was based in Harrisburg (my home town) and we contacted her, figuring it would be nice to support a local artist. It turns out she is the mother of someone I went to school with, she's been fantastic to work with, and we are getting something that is unique and a true work of art.